My creative process is pretty much not a process at all. Hahaha!
Whenever there are group projects in school, I am basically the creative director. I layout a magazine. I create logos. I make chargens. I edit videos. Etcetera etcetera.
You know in creating designs, one doesn’t just create. Or maybe that’s just me.
I firstly look for pegs. Which is the usual case especially if you have group mates and they also want to contribute.
A few weeks ago, we were required to produce a magazine show for our Sports Journalism class. There had been a few internal struggles (mostly mine. Actually, all mine!) but thank God I was able to comply.
So the first question was, how should it look like? And then I saw this logo that was originally from a poster.
I thought, “oooh this looks interesting!”
My problem though was how will I be able to do this? I know how to design but I’m no expert. “Maybe there’s a font for this.” And so I searched.
But whatever I googled (i.e. fonts with lines, fonts with lines inside, line fonts) nothing really came up. I even found this website wherein you upload a picture of the text and then they tell you what it is. And a website which surveys you until you finally get to that font (I never got into its end). Still no luck. I ended up with this.
And I was like, “damn it, it doesn’t even look that way!” How can I fail miserably?!
So I searched again for fonts, but this time, I took the moment looking at every submission there was. Which lead me to #graphicdesignerproblems where you think, “Oh this doesn’t look good but I’ll download it anyway because I might need it in the future.” Leaving me a couple of font faces that was not utilized in that project.
Then I gave up on finding one. I just tried every freaking font that I had and then boom, I saw one that perfectly fits the name of the show. (Fact: the font came from another batch of download wherein I was working for another activity.)
There was something about the geometrically shaped H and T. I cannot pinpoint what but I reckon it was perfect. I shared the samples with my group mates (including one that was sans serif and not a brush font because hello, brush fonts!!!) and they liked it. Paui, one of our editors, suggested that maybe we should put balls of some sorts because, well, it was a sports magazine show. But then I was arguing with myself because I know I don’t want to do so but I don’t want them to say I don’t cooperate. Hahaha! So I pondered. (lol not really) And then I remembered finding these vector trophies on Google. “Maybe I can just change the letters L and I.”
And I did, and it finally became the official logo:
And because I was responsible for the OBB, I animated the H and T in here (watch in HD!):
They changed the song though. *sad face*
So that’s how I usually roll. I don’t really end up the way I pegged something. I work predominantly well with my own concept.
Right now, I really want to enrol in an animation and a web development class. I really want to learn legitimately animation! I only taught myself how to use Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, and InDesign. I tried Dreamweaver a couple of years back but I don’t remember much anymore. Whenever I get a hard time using those softwares, I search for how-to’s on Youtube. And that was how I mostly learned Dreamweaver.
Special hello to my friend Lis who’s sometimes my number one fan in this kind of work. Hahaha! Love you Lissy, I know you’ll be reading this! :P